Monday, July 13, 2015

Report from China (3) The Baptism of Baby Anna

Our friends T and J came to us through Sister Shelley. She had been a friend of this couple for some years when she suggested they should visit our bilingual services. For a while already T & J had been convinced of the Gospel truth, so after a while of worshipping with us, they agreed to get baptized. Just at that time J was pregnant, but things did not look good.  We mobilized the congregation in prayer, but in the end she gave birth to a child already dead.
I was afraid they would be so disappointed that God had not given what we had so earnestly asked for, that they would turn away. Yet, T and J were strengthened in their mutual love and in their faith in God. For this we were thankful, and we praised Him.

Two years ago we hosted the (Alpha) Marriage Preparation Course. This material was available in the Christian bookstores and online at low prices, and we were encouraged to photocopy the participants’ booklets for our use.  It was a very good experience for bonding families and congregation. Several participants told us later that the course had been a real blessing in their relationships.  After the first run, we decided to repeat the course, this time inviting members of other churches and their friends. This time, we asked T and J to do part of the teaching. Although our evangelist felt that they were not mature enough in faith, I suggested that it would be very important to involve such a couple in the teaching. I felt it would be much more powerful, for instance, to have this Chinese couple encourage the participants to hug their partners twice a day than if we were to say such things!  I had hoped that T and J could teach the course the following year, but by that time other things demanded our attention.

I guess it was last year in the summer that we learned that J was pregnant again. Throughout her pregnancy we prayed, and –thank God- all went well!  In the end of March, she gave birth to a beautiful baby girl!  The second day we went to visit them in the hospital. As we left, three ladies were waiting at the nurses’ station to go in after us. Sister J greeted us loudly and came towards us, but I noticed how (our former deacon) Sister G turned away, apparently to study something on the nurses’ counter. I left J to Marioka and walked up to G. As I placed my hand on her shoulder, she looked up.  I spoke to her with sincerity and warmth, “It’s good to see you again, G!”

During our seven-and-a-half year of ministry, I have only three times spent significant time on the topic of infant baptism. Our regular audience knew that Marioka and I had been baptized as babies, and we were not afraid to talk about it. Yet, as none of our Family seemed to be familiar with this practice, I was careful not to push it or to demand the introduction of it. The few times I discussed it in some detail, I was careful to mention the main arguments in favor as well as against, pointing out the possible misunderstandings for accepting and rejecting it.
Although several babies had been born in our congregation, we never had any request for their baptism.  After a birth, I always made sure to point out that, as the parents belong to the Good Shepherd, so do their little lambs!  And I would urge the parents to teach the children to know and to love Jesus.

I was delighted when T and J informed me that they would like to have their baby baptized. Our Chinese co-workers had no objections, so, about three weeks after her birth, we were privileged to baptized little Anna! After the service we all got into cars and went to Sister J’s restaurant for a wonderful meal and celebration!  SDG!

No comments:

Post a Comment