Friday, July 5, 2013

Tradition and the Will of God

We all learn from people whom we trust.  Some atheists may claim that they only believe the things that they have seen or the things they can verify by personal observation.  Yet, nobody can live this way and still function in society.  We all rely on others to teach us, and we can only learn if we –to some degree- trust our ‘teachers’ to tell us what is true.  Yet, as we grow up, we must come to a stage where we look beyond our trusted teachers and put them to the test.  When children go to school they will hear things that –in some way- will contradict the things they learned at home. So, they must compare, contrast, and choose which lessons from their parents to keep and which to discard.  Some people, even in old age, keep quoting all the things their fathers used to say.  However, as fathers we don’t have the perfect insights and we do make mistakes.  Hopefully we learn from our mistakes, and we grow in God through the renewing of our minds. 
Also in our relationship to God, we must grow and mature.  Recently we baptized a couple that had originally come to Christ through Mormon teaching; only later did they recognize that Mormon teaching does not line up with the Word of God.  As pastors and preachers, we do may miss at times the biblical balance and even allow idols to co-exist with God.  Therefore every member is called to spiritual maturity and to compare the teaching and the preaching in the church with the Word of God.  When churches and their leaders cannot cope with critical questions from their members, they are in danger of ‘hardening of the categories’ and fossilization of the church.  If we insist our teenagers accept everything we say or believe without any personal processing or evaluation, we train them to be people-pleasers, rather than God-pleasers.
After we were branded heretics by one church and rejected for membership by two of the neighboring churches, we were welcomed in a rural reformed church nearby.  The elders had all read my book and concluded that it did not espouse any heresies.  Yet, I studied at a nearby seminary, and so I had to look for opportunities to get some practical experience.  First I was allowed to preach in a local (secular) seniors’ home.  That was pretty safe, for most attendees were deaf or demented and many would sleep during the delivery of my carefully crafted homilies.
About a year later I was allowed to also teach a catechism group.  I was warned from the start not to get myself in trouble (again).  I was happy teaching the young people.  I was glad that many felt comfortable to share their personal convictions and their doubts.  I was careful not to jump to quick condemnation, yet I challenged and urged them to keep God at the centre of their lives.  Things went fine until in the Spring I had a (routine) visit from an elder visiting my class.  At the time I was dealing with the Ten Commandments; that night we discussed the Second Commandment.  The church-approved textbook argued that we may not have anything in our worship (services) that is not instituted in the Bible, such as: praying to mother Mary or the saints, burning of candles, and liturgical dance.
I explained that the Bible clearly teaches that we can only pray to God.  Therefore, we may not pray to any creatures.  Yet, the Bible does not forbid the burning of candles or liturgical dance.  So, we cannot place all four examples on the same level; the first two are forbidden, while the latter two are expressions of worship style.  “I have never pushed our church to use candles in a Christmas service or to introduce liturgical dance, but we cannot condemn other churches for doing so.”  For the brother elder, however, this was not good enough.  So, after the season had ended, I was summoned to a meeting.
I was urged to maintain the harmony in the church by upholding the traditions.  Yet, I argued that we may never confuse the revealed will of God with human traditions.  Again, I was branded the trouble-maker, but I insisted, “If you want me to teach our young people the Word of God, I love to serve.  Yet, if you want a teacher to enforce the church traditions, you ought to find a traditionalist”  For a while the pastor tried to reconcile me to the council’s will.  He maintained, in line with (the wording of) the Heidelberg Catechism, that God’s Law forbids us to introduce any elements into the worship services that have not been prescribed in the Bible.  I disagreed.  When Paul addresses the Corinthian church, he does not say, “Who gave you the idea to speak in tongues during the worship service?  Where did God institute such a practice?”  Rather, he used a functional approach.  He was not after Law-keeping, but after Church-building.  So, he said, “Speaking in tongues without proper interpretation does not build the church.  Therefore, you ought to keep it out (of your worship meetings).  Apparently, Paul had a different approach about worship do’s and don’ts!

So, I concluded, “It seems to me that you claim to bar candles and liturgical dance from worship on the basis of the Law of God.  Yet, in reality you abuse the Word of God to bolster your traditions.  You make God’s Word say the things you want to hear, thereby judging other churches.”  If tradition rules, God can no longer be in the centre; this too, is idolatry!

No comments:

Post a Comment