Monday, June 10, 2013

The Centre of the Universe: My Teenage Years

I lived as oldest child in a fairly large family in a small Dutch city.  Apparently my home town used to have the largest Christian Reformed church in the country.  However, about ten years before I was born, a small yet significant group broke away from this church in order to continue as “the only genuine church in town”.  This was my community.  As teenagers we were all expected to visit the weekly church doctrine classes, join a young people’s study club, and attend the two Sunday services.  We also had our own schools, so there was hardly any social interaction outside this safe and sheltered community.  My father was principal of the junior high school; all students belonged to our church or neighborhood sister churches.
Among our peers we did not talk about God or Jesus; he was not at the focus of our lives.  Most of us followed the expected code of behavior: we were good kids.  We had a strange relationship with outsiders, whether or not they went to (a different) church.  It was an awkward combination of distrust and fear.  Of course we could not totally avoid to meet other children, for instance in our street.  Most of them went to bad churches, yet they seemed to be very similar to us.  They were also decent and nice; even the godless children did not seem so different.  Except on Sundays.  If people had asked us what a Christian is, we would have replied, “On Sundays, Christians don’t do the weekday things, but they go twice to church.”  ‘Weekday things’ was a somewhat flexible concept, but for us this included riding our bicycles or doing any shopping.   I remember several preachers proclaiming that watching TV on Sundays was a serious sin.  We were Christians, for we respected God’s Law: we did not have any idols in our house, and we did not steal a lot or lie a lot.  But this was true for all our neighbors.  The only ‘idol’ I could think of was the TV, yet we were allowed to watch TV on Wednesday afternoons- at a neighbor’s house.
In our community this was the Christian lifestyle.  I thought I was a Christian because I tried hard to live according to the (church) community’s expectations.  I did my best to please my parents and the others in the church so they would praise me as a good boy.  I adopted the behavior code to nurture my personal pride through the praise of others.  I was at the centre of the universe.  Christ was not: I was not a Christian at that time.
My parents were strict and protective, because my father’s role in the community and because they lost their firstborn daughter at a precious young age.  Therefore, when my peers began to smoke and ride small motor bikes, my parents would not allow me to do such things.  A few years later my peers began drinking and going out with girls.  My best friend abandoned me to hang out with the cool guys.  I lived in a different reality from my peers, and I became more proud for not participating in ‘the evil things of the world’.  My parents noticed my social awkwardness and tried to arrange me to spend Sundays with some peers.  It did not work; I felt very embarrassed to have them in our home.

Once a year all our church communities took a holiday.  Buses from all over our (small) country would bring the church people together for something like an annual pride parade.  During the long day the parents would listen to speeches, while the young people would try to find a girl or boy who also belonged to the true church.  One year I was old enough to go without my parents.  When I got off the bus with my peers, they said, “Let’s f**k some girls today!”  I realize they were just bragging, but I was appalled.  I spent most of the day just walking by myself.  In senior high school I, and these two peers, got jobs as letter carriers at the local post office.  This was a great job: I got up at daybreak (about 5 a.m.) and had a five minute bike ride to the post office.  Then I had to sort the mail for my district, setting everything into the right order for delivery.  When that was done, I would load the big bicycle bags and set out to do my route.  Early afternoon I would be done.  The rest of the day was holiday!  Yet, sometimes the supervisor had some extra jobs to do, and he would assign it to the person with the least working hours.  So, he asked us about our times.  My peers were bragging to me how they cheated on their hours to avoid the extra work.  I was greatly disappointed, for I was ashamed that we, as ‘true Christians’, would do such things.  A few days later I met another young fellow at the post office.  He was a Christian, and over the weeks I got to know him better.  It was obvious that he did not lie about his hours, and talking about Jesus seemed to come natural to him.  He invited me to his home where I met his mother.  She was on fire about a missionary story she had just read.  Somehow I had a nagging feeling that I had just found some long lost family and that “the genuine church of God” might be more elusive than I had been taught.
In my late teens I finally got a grip on my social awkwardness.  For years I had been tossed up and down between pride and depression.  I was a perfectionist, so I set high standards for myself and others.  For weeks I could live in the clouds, looking down on others.  Then, as soon as I had messed things up again, I came crashing down to the point of considering suicide.  I was afraid of public attention; I always thought people were staring at me and talking about me.  To make things worse, in church services we had to sit in church on the balcony.  Large, stable families were encouraged to have the upstairs pews assigned to them to avoid noisy young people from creating a nuisance there during the service.  Since we were a family of ten, my father jumped to the opportunity.  Now I sat on public display of the presumed critical eye of half the congregation.
Yet, over time it dawned on me that my fear of criticism was the natural consequence of my own critical attitudes.  With God’s grace I started to accept others, and I could take part of social life.  On weekends we hung out together with a growing group of young people.  I became bold and organized sailing camps.  I started drinking beer, and for a while I even had a girl friend.  But Christ was not yet truly in the centre, even as I wanted him to be.

Today He is the centre of my life – most of the time.  Whenever I become proud and push him to the periphery of my life, I am faced with the crucified Christ.  Like Peter, this cuts me to the heart: I have betrayed my Savior - again!  And when I feel depressed, I also see the cross.  I am reminded of his amazing love: that He, my God, has died for me.  As Timothy Keller would say, “I am a worse sinner than I would ever dare to admit”, and yet “I am more deeply loved than I could ever fathom.”
A few months ago in Holland I finally met some of my teenage peers again.  Over the previous year I had found them on Facebook.  I told them my story.  They were surprised.  I was happy that I am no longer ashamed about my youth, and I am glad that some of my friends have also developed rich spiritual lives, with Christ in the centre. 

No comments:

Post a Comment