Tuesday, January 13, 2015

On the train to Amsterdam




In the previous post I introduced four major themes in New Age thinking.  Another significant theme is the idea of wholism or holism: “The whole is greater than its parts”.  Anybody who has lived in Asia or is familiar with its culture will realize that there is a different perspective on human life.  Although modernization and Christianity are impacting these cultures today, the prevalent view in China and surrounding countries still seems to be that all citizens must be prepared to willingly sacrifice their lives for the good of their families and communities, their country and her leaders.   Westerners are often shocked to learn how (in the past) their most celebrated leaders openly bragged about the many lives (of their own citizens) sacrificed for the glory of the nation (the way that the leaders envisioned it should be).  
 
Shortly after I had read a number of books by New Age leaders or about the movement, we were visiting our families in the Netherlands.  After a few weeks we took the train to Schiphol International Airport (outside Amsterdam).  Somewhere on this trip a young woman, sitting across from me, tried to start a conversation.  Apparently, she was encouraged by the fact that we were conversing in the English language.
I explained that we were Dutch Canadians, and she shared she lived in Norway. She was on her way home after attending a New Age conference.  She was obviously excited about the experiences gained at this event.  I told her that I was a Christian, and that I was somewhat familiar with the movement.  I told her that I agreed with the New Age on the existence of a (highly relevant) spiritual reality, and that it is possible to communicate with it.  Apparently she was not so familiar with the source of New Age ‘knowledge’, so I told her what I had learned about the topic, regarding mediums and shamans, séances and spirit-revelations.  Yet, I also shared my concern: In what way can we test the spirits whether they are good and true?  Apparently there also exist deceiving spirits who seek to use humans for their own intentions, eventually bringing them and others to lose their responsibility and perhaps even their identity.  She told me that at times she shared that fear; perhaps she was not yet totally convinced by the New Age teaching or in the grip of its power.  So, I told her that the Bible claims to be the tool to test the spirits to see whether they are from our Father-God.

Next, I shared my concern about the New Age perspective on human life in the scope of the wellbeing of the planet.  As ‘the devil’s advocate’, I painted a scenario, based on the doctrine of “the whole is greater than its parts”. 
‘The time may come that the global environment will be on the brink of disaster, or at least that the majority of humankind has been persuaded to think so.  When this happens, populations will rise up against their governments, realizing how their leaders have refused to put the wellbeing of the planet before their personal interests and the economic interests of their own nations.  Millions will rise up in the belief that if their leaders refuse to do the right thing, surely they themselves must do the right thing and take radical action to protect our Mother Earth.’
I looked at her; she nodded. So, I continued…
‘At a time like this, I believe, New Age will show its true colors.  Since the whole is greater than the parts, and the wellbeing of the planet is far more important than the lives of human beings…  Since death for those who rape Mother Earth would serve the survival of the planet and prevent their further accumulation of bad karma, we should terminate the lives of those who have persistently contributed to large-scale destruction and exploitation.’
She frowned. She was not ready to use violence … Not yet…
 ‘Look, I realize that this is new to you.  But think: When the planet’s enemies cross over to the spirit world, this would make them repentant and desiring –in their next life- to undo the evils of their past… So, perhaps the time has come to ‘forcefully reform’ those who threaten the planet’s life: the oil barons and those in government who support them, the business people who know about the destructive nature of their industries, and all those who live as if their personal wealth gives licence to exploit the planet and to steal from future generations!  Furthermore, this would give a clear warning signal for other global citizens, as we educate them to be good children of our Mother Earth.’
She looked more relaxed now.  Perhaps she was buying into my scheme.
I reminded her that I was a Christian.  I shared with her the Bible’s perspective that we have a Father-God, who has made each one of us in His Image.  He loves us, and He cares for us.  And because of our special connection with Him, each human life is precious in His sight.  There are some things that I am prepared to die for, but I hope I never have the audacity to murder one of His children- deciding in my arrogance who should not be worthy to live.
The train slowed down; fellow passengers began to get up and take their belongings. In just another moment we would arrive at Schiphol International Airport, the terminal of the line.

No comments:

Post a Comment