Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Tradition as an Idol in the Church

(This post follows ‘The Whistle Blower’)

It was the year 2000. After our battle in the Canadian Reformed churches, and after two other Reformed churches had refused to accept us as members, we were embraced at a rural United Reformed Church.  Here we could worship in peace, participate at the communion table, and experience the communion of saints without the condition to first denounce my writings and dismiss my calling.  Homeschooling (which had been an alienating factor earlier) was quite common in this church, and in the following years several of our Canadian Reformed home-school friends joined this congregation.  About a year later, we also received a new pastor, a fairly young man who shared many of my concerns about the churches we had left.

The United Reformed Church was a gathering of people who had recently left other denominations, particularly the CRC (Christian Reformed Church). Some had left this denomination for sound reasons (We were no longer fed in the preaching), while others had left for traditional reasons (They started to use guitars and drums; They introduced a new hymn book).  Other members came from Protestant Reformed churches and increasingly also from the Canadian Reformed churches. Most of the members seemed to be fairly critical about the churches they had left, so we seemed to fit right in!  It must have been a real challenge for the elders to maintain the unity and to keep the peace in such a mixed (and often critical) community!  No wonder the elders were somewhat reluctant to allow me in their pulpit.  (I now realize that I would not have been ready to preach the Gospel at the time.  It would take years before I was able to put Christ in the centre, rather than specific doctrinal arguments or disputes.) Thankfully I could do my internship with Grace Toronto Church.  This PCA (Presbyterian Church of America) fellowship followed Timothy Keller’s approach in New York City, and our time there was of great value in preparation for our ministry in East Asia.  We kept our membership with the URC and after a few years the elders asked me to teach a catechism group.  They warned me to be cautious, and I thankfully accepted the task.
I enjoyed the opportunity!  I had a group of wonderful young people; several were quite mature -somewhat critical and outspoken-, while others were quite traditional and very quiet.  Normally, before teaching them ‘the true doctrine’, I would give the students an opportunity to share their own ideas.  I really wanted to listen to them and to see them personally engaged with the material.  Aside of the quiet ones, I got some real encouraging responses that showed that many were personally processing the teachings.  When their views went against the Bible, I would challenge them from Scripture or question them how their ideas would be to the glory of God.  I felt I was connecting and that (most) young people respected my challenges and corrections.
Not everyone was happy, however.  After a while one or more parents complained to the council that I was not appropriately dressed for the occasion and that I did not teach from the textbook, written by a Canadian Reformed minister.  So, I started to incorporate that book into my teaching.  When I got to Question & Answer 96 (of the Heidelberg Catechism), one of the elders came to attend the class. 

96. Question: What does God require in the second commandment?

 Answer: We are not to make an image of God in any way, nor to worship Him in any other manner than He has commanded in His Word.

After an introduction, we turned to the textbook. The author suggested that we may not do anything in the public worship meetings unless the Bible specifically instructs us so.  Examples included: (1) praying to Mary or the saints, (2) the burning of candles, and (3) the use of liturgical dance*.  We had an interesting discussion.  I reminded the students that the first example is clearly supported by Scripture: We may not worship (or pray to) anyone except God alone!  The other examples, however, are of a very different nature.  In our church we may prefer not to incorporate such things, and I would never push them to change their worship style in that respect.  Yet we cannot condemn other churches for using candles for Advent or including a liturgical dance!  At the end of the class, the elder was not happy: I should have given a clear condemnation of the use of candles or liturgical dance in worship!  I asked him to show me this from Scripture, but he could not.

For the next months, I heard no more complaints, so I assumed that everything was all right.  At the end of the season, however, I was asked to meet with some elders.  I asked for an explanation (“What is it about?”), but none was given.  I told the brother that this was unacceptable: They ought to give me an opportunity to prepare myself for such a meeting.  Anyway, when the time had come I got an urgent phone call to please attend the meeting.  I was assured it was no major issue.  So, I went.

Immediately it was obvious that the issue was still my teaching on the Second Commandment.  It also became clear that the three elders at the meeting all had different views.  The elder who had attended my class said it did not matter if the Bible did not teach it; I was supposed to support the practice of the local church. I replied, “If you want somebody to teach God’s Word, I love to do it.  If you want someone to teach the church traditions, you’d better find a traditionalist to do that job!” Another elder just tried to appease the traditionalists in church and urged me to toe the line.  I replied that we may never teach human traditions as if they are the Word of God.  This would be a crucial mistake with far reaching consequences.  For a while it might seem wise, but in the end it would backfire and prove destructive to the church of Christ. The third elder followed the argument of the textbook: We may not have any elements in our worship that have not been instituted in the Bible (New Testament).  I protested, “That sounds very pious indeed!  It would seem that our traditional worship is the only way acceptable to God.  Any church using other expressions or symbols in worship is then going against the Law of God!  Yet, the apostle Paul seems to use a different approach. When he writes to the Corinthian church, he does not condemn all speaking in tongues in their meetings (because this was never instituted); rather he evaluates the practice on the basis of whether or not it would serve to build the Church.  Therefore, while you claim to obey the Law of God, you actually abuse it to defend your own treasured traditions! I believe this is idolatry!”  Nevertheless, it seemed obvious that this church was not ready to challenge its traditions; many members had left the CRC just to maintain the old ways, “Give me that good old religion. That’s good enough for me!”  Odd as it may seem for many, it’s a blessing for God’s Church that godly young people who seek to follow Christ leave those churches where human traditions are peddled as if they were the Word of God.

Where should we go?  I was convinced that God was calling us in ministry, but once again the doors were closed.  After several months of prayerful consideration, we decided to join a downtown CRC in our city.  Here we had the freedom and support to respond to God’s calling in urban, international ministry.


*I summarize from memory. I don’t have the resources available in China!

1 comment:

  1. I noticed that much of this was already included in last year's post "Tradition and the Will of God", posted July 5, 2013.

    ReplyDelete